Thursday, May 28, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend


Over the past three and half years of cat trapping, I have found that feral cats frequent many different types of places. Among the most popular in my area are dumpsters and the many sheds that surround my house. Saturday morning I did my usual looking out the window to see if any cats or kittens were peeking their heads out from under one of the three sheds around the perimeter of my house. It was around 8am that I spotted the three kittens playing on the side of my neighbor's shed. The rest of the weekend was dedicated to trapping all four of these cats. I took note of when the cats came out from under the shed (periodically from 5-8am, 3:30pm, and 8pm), I kept the food fresh and extra stinky, and I sometimes kept the trap forced open when I could not watch it so the kittens might get used to going in and out of the trap. One night, I even persuaded my husband to put off mowing since the noise would prolong the kittens from coming out from under the shed. By Tuesday at 7pm all three of the kittens were in the care of foster homes and the mom cat had already been spayed and returned to the shed. It was quite a busy weekend but very rewarding to know one less feral cat would have more litters and three kittens would not only survive but soon be adopted and spoiled as all kittens deserve to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment